If you are considering surrogacy to build your family, it may seem overwhelming or daunting to begin your journey. It is important that intended parents educate themselves on all aspects of the surrogacy process. We list some of the most common pros and cons of surrogacy for intended parents.
The most common benefits of surrogacy for intended parents are:
- Surrogacy allows intended parents to achieve their dream of building a family.
- Surrogacy can be the only means to have a child with a biological connection to one or both parties.
- Surrogacy can help those individuals or couples who otherwise cannot have a child become parents. These include LGBT couples and couples facing infertility.
- Surrogacy costs are generally known up front and the outcome more reliable than countless infertility treatments.
- Intended parents can experience the pregnancy milestones from conception up to the birth of the baby.
- Surrogacy allows parents to raise their child from birth.
- Surrogacy can create a lifelong bond with the generous woman who carries their child, if the parents choose.
- Intended parents can have more involvement with the process than they might with infertility treatments or adoption.
The most common disadvantages for intended parents to consider are:
- Surrogacy can be expensive. There are many parties and procedures involved in surrogacy, which equal more costs.
- Surrogacy can be complicated. Without an experienced guide, the legal and medical processes can be overwhelming.
- Surrogacy can be lengthy. The process includes matching, meetings, medical procedures and, of course, a 9-month pregnancy.
In surrogacy, there are many emotional, legal, and financial aspects to consider. However, it can be one of the most emotionally rewarding experiences you will ever go through and the end result is life-changing.
If you have questions about surrogacy, please contact Family Choice Surrogacy.